DC Board of Barber and Cosmetology Licensing information
All links labeled PDF require you to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. These links will open in a new browser window.
The DC Board of Barber and Cosmetology (Board) regulates the practice of barbers, body artists, and cosmetologists, including specialty cosmetology practices such as braiding, electrolysis, esthetics, manicuring and others as the Mayor may from time to time establish by rule, instructors and managers of these practices, and owners of such facilities. The Board works diligently to raise the standards of practice, ensure quality service, establish accepted codes of ethical behavior, and protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens and visitors of the District of Columbia by upholding the city’s Barber and Cosmetology license law PDF, which took effect on May 2001.
The Board of Barber and Cosmetology consists of 14 members, appointed by the Mayor. Three (3) shall be barbers, three (3) shall be cosmetologists, three (3) shall be specialty cosmetologists, three (3) shall be body artists, and two (2) shall be consumer members. Eight (8) members constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the first Monday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at the DCRA headquarters, located at 1100 4th Street SW, Washington, DC 20024. The Board can be reached by phone: (202) 442-4320 or fax: (202) 698-4329.
Current Board Members
- Anwar S. Saleem, PhD – Chair, Cosmetologist
- Raymond L. Kibler – Barber
- Jared Scott – Barber
- Mark C. Wills – Barber
- Eric Doyle – Body Artist
- Norah S. Critzos – Cosmetologist
- Richard A. DeCarlo, PhD – Cosmetologist
- Vonetta Dumas – Cosmetologist Specialty, Braider
- Frances O. French – Cosmetologist Specialty, Esthetician and Electrologist
- Sharon A. Young – Cosmetologist Specialty, Manicurist
- 2 Body Artists – Vacant
- 2 Consumer Members – Vacant
2016 Meeting Dates:
|January 4||February 1||March 7|
|April 4||May 2||June 6|
|July 11||August - RECESS||September 26 - No meeting|
|October 11||November 7||December 5|
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
License Search / News / Publications and Forms
Effective May 1, 2016 NIC Cosmetology Theory examination PDF
Please read the public notice PDF regarding amended rules regulating practice requirements and license requirements.
Publications and Forms
These links take you to resource information and forms that are required to obtain your license from the District of Columbia.
- Barber and Cosmetology Apprenticeship Program Sponsors Listing PDF
- Barber and Cosmetology Examination Information
- Barber and Cosmetology Licensure Act PDF
- Continuing Education Requirements PDF
- Final Rulemaking: Continuing Education PDF
- Regulatory Complaint Intake Form PDF
- Two-Tier Esthetician Rulemaking PDF
Exam Scheduling Forms
Formal Education Certificate
Shop Designated Manager Change Form
Supplemental Information Form
Licensing / Resources
Online licensing services are a quick, convenient, and environmentally responsible way to manage your licensing needs.
Online License Renewals
- The Online License Renewal period is currently closed.
New License Instructions
- Barber PDF
- Barber — Spanish PDF
- Cosmetology PDF
- Cosmetology — Spanish PDF
- Cosmetology — Vietnamese PDF
- Body Artist PDF
New License Application
Verification of Licensure
The Board is committed to professional development and consumer protection. The following links provide a wealth of additional information.